Blackpool has long had a reputation for entrepreneurial businesses – those that move quickly to meet the rapidly changing needs of their customers. Also Blackpool has always encouraged people with bright ideas, who are prepared to work hard, to turn them into viable businesses.
Blackpool Council’s Business Support team provides information and advice for businesses and prospective businesses in the town, delivering the following services.
- Get Started, a friendly professional service for Blackpool residents who wish to start a business, which has helped almost 1000 businesses to start over the past 8 years. Get Started provides workshops and 1-2-1 advice to help new businesses make the best start. Assistance is provided with accessing finance and further business support if required
- The team helps established businesses, particularly those that wish to grow and develop, to access business support and funding to help achieve their goals. Assistance is also provided in working with other Council teams such as planning, licensing, trading standards etc.
- The Blackpool and Fylde Coast Property Locator – a comprehensive on-line directory of commercial, retail and industrial land and property for sale and to let. The directory is searchable by users, the team can provide further assistance if required.
- The Team runs the Blackpool Unlimited website – www.blackpoolunlimited.com – a resourceful platform with useful and practical information for all business people in Blackpool. The site features news about businesses and upcoming business events, up-to-date information about business support and toolkits and resources for start-ups and growing businesses.
- The Council also operates and leases serviced office accommodation at various locations across Blackpool.
What one top tip would you give to a business owner embarking on a growth plan?
Have a clear idea of how success will look in a defined time period, make sure you have a plan to achieve it, and indicators to measure your progress. Don’t be afraid to change your plan, but keep your eye on the goal.
Why is Lancashire a great place to grow a business?
Lancashire people make a committed, skilled and productive workforce. There is excellent connectivity to the rest of the country and the world – through the road, rail and air networks. Space is available to locate new business needs. There are strong networks covering the wide range of sectors operating in the county.
Why are you backing Boost
Blackpool businesses will benefit from Boost, businesses do better, grow more, create more wealth and employ more people if they take relevant third party support and advice. Boost provides the opportunity for growing businesses to tap into the type of advice and support which suits them and their needs the best. A key strength of Boost is the variety of support available enabling businesses to make the right choice.