What is your New Year’s business resolution?
Will you be doing business as usual in 2019?
Join us and spend some time working on your business, shape a new offer and make 2019 your best year yet. Whether you are designing a new product or reaching out to a new market, we will help you generate new service/product ideas, flesh out existing ones, identify the most promising ones and prototype them to make sure you are moving in the right direction.
The workshops will be run by the Lancaster University Enterprise Centre, we have supported business development for Lancaster University students, staff and alumni for the last 6 years. We champion design thinking and the disciplined entrepreneurship approach to developing, de-risking and validating business ideas.
A chance to win a £500 research and validation award:
- The businesses who participate will have the chance to pitch their validation plans at the end of the second workshop. Two plans will be supported with a £500 research and validation award
- Access to our learning community
Lancaster University Enterprise Centre puts on events and workshops all year round, including masterclasses by experts on topics like finance and marketing as well as drop in sessions with accountants, solicitors and tech experts to support people who are in the process of developing new offerings or ventures. By joining this workshops you become a member of this community and you can access all our future events. Other services you will have access to as a member of our community would be:
- Mentoring to gain peer support and insights from experienced entrepreneurs
- Coaching to stay on track with the validation of your project
- Access to our Validate platform to continue to test similar growth experiments after the event
- Access to our Challenge Lancaster Platform that allows you open up challenges to University Students and get their ideas and input
Each workshop is split in two 4 hour sessions to allow you to make an initial plan, get some feedback from potential clients and come back to make a more detailed prototype to further validate your ideas.
- Part 1: Idea generation and evaluation Wednesday February 20, 2019
In the first part of the workshop we will work on shaping new product or service ideas. These can be products or services you always wanted to explore or something entirely new. Following a social learning model we will draw from the people in the room for feedback and suggestions, but you will spend most of your time developing your ideas following our step by step process as part of a facilitated session. By the end of the workshop you will narrow down your focus on one or two ideas to validate. We will give you prompts to help you get feedback from potential customers quickly.
- Part 2: Prototyping for validation Wednesday February 27, 2019
In the second part of the workshop you will share the feedback you received on your ideas, and start forming a prototype to validate your ideas before you invest more time or energy to them. This can be as simple as a facebook event, a poster, or a new page on your website talking about the new offer. We will talk about metrics you can be collecting as part of your validation and what questions you should be asking to make sure ideas have potential. By the end of the session you will have a validation plan in place. We will also give you a chance to pitch your ideas and validation plans for a chance to win a £500 research and validation award.